Trump bullied and demeaned anchor Kailyn Collins calling her a ” nasty woman” when she pressed him on the issue of the classified documents found at Mara-a- Lago. Most of Trump’s comments exposed his racism, dishonesty, autocratic view of the presidency, pervasive incompetence, character flaws, and criminality. The cringeworthy performance by Trump included:
- Recycled, debunked lies about the 2020 election being rigged. His severely weak ego was on display revealing he is pathologically incapable of sustaining self-esteem when he loses.
- Championing the insurrectionists. He said they have been badly mistreated and promised pardons to them should he become president.
- Downplayed the violence at the Capitol saying ” a few people loss control.”
- Incorrectly blamed Speaker Nancy Pelosi for the violence at the Capitol. The Speaker of the House has no control over the operations of the Capitol Police.
- Committed defamation again against E. Jean Carroll just days being found liable of defamation and sexual assault of Ms. Carroll
- Refused to apologize to VP Mike Pence and repeated his assertion that Pence ” did something wrong” by not refusing to certify the results of the election
- Evaded direct answers to questions about backing Ukraine in the Russian invasion or whether he would support a federal abortion ban
- Called Capitol police Officer Byrd a ” thug” for firing the shot that killed violent insurrection ist Ashli Babbett.
- Indicated family separation immigration policies would return
- Admitted to stealing the classified documents. He said, ” I took the documents. I’m allowed to.”
- Lied about what he said on the phone call to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensberger. He said, ” I didn’t ask him to find anything.” On the call he specifically asked Raffensberger to ” find me 11,780 votes.”
CNN was complicit in this toxic town hall by not compiling a mixed audience of voters and choosing an anchor who was strong and committed to journalism instead of performance politics. The station has received criticism for producing what they knew would be a platform for lies and dangerous, anti- democracy rhetoric by Trump.