Liz Cheney running against Trump would incite him to put on display his misogyny, violent nature, hatred for traditional conservatism and disdain for the Constitution. Hopefully, this would re-ignite the commitment of true republicans to publicly oppose non- MAGA conservatism. Cheney entering a run for the presidency could encourage real conservatives to fight for the survival their party and to demonstrate a commitment to country over party. The most important message for a republican running against Trump to convey is that he is an enemy of democracy and embodies all the traits of dangerous past and present dictators. Cheney’s ultra- conservative voting record would attract the hard-right who disdain and reject Trump, reject the extremism of the MAGA ideology and oppose the promotion of violence in politics.
Cheney rejects the politics and morals of individuals who champion Trump’s anti- democracy, authoritarian ideology. She has fiercely opposed the MAGA actions and rhetoric of such surrogates as:
- Rudy Guiliani- Former Trump lawyer who spread lies about voter fraud, promoted COVID conspiracy theories, and attempted to overthrow the 2022 election.
- Marjorie Taylor Green – A conspiracy theorist who espouses anti-Semitic, racist, ” big lie” rhetoric. She has also become a champion for and defended of the insurrection and the convicted insurrectionists.
- Kevin McCarthy- Speaker of the House who originally held Trump responsible for inciting the insurrection but who has now made deals with MAGA members of the House to downplay the insurrection and spread the “big lie”. He also refused to comply with a subpoena to testify to the Jan. 6 the Select Committee.
- Steve Bannon- Former Trump Administration advisor, anarcchist and conspiracy theorist who has been convicted of and sentenced to 4 months in jail. He believes a president should have absolute, unchallenged power.
- Mark Meadows- Former White House Chief of Staff who protected and defended Trump’s actions on Jan. 6th and the spreading of the ” big lie.” He also refused to comply with a subpoena to testify to the Jan. 6th Select committee.
Cheney scares Trump. She sees through his pseudo- machoism and knows how fear and insecurity fuels his angry, cruel nature. However, because he has figured out an effective cult- message to secure his base, Cheney realizes the threat he poses to democracy is real and is energized to block his bid for the presidency.