Buden’s speech, now being referred to as the ” America in Peril” speech, was a fact-based account of the three BIG Lies Trump and his supporters have been spreading and the danger they pose to American democracy. The lies in Biden’s words were: the election was stolen, the rioters were patriots, and the real insurrection occurred on November 3rd, not on January 6th.
There are parts of President Biden’ speech that must be remembered, echoed, and serve as a guide for Americans on how to remain loyal to the Constitution and our values, despite our differences. The message of loyalty to country over party or individual was put forth with strength and conviction.
HERE ARE EXCERPTS FROM BIDEN’S SPEECH TODAY THAT ARE TRUTHFUL, FACT-BASED, INSPIRING, PATRIOTIC, AND HE DEFINED THE AMERICA THAT IS TRULY GREAT. THE MAGA VERSION OF WHAT MAKES AMERICA GREAT IS ANOTHER “BIG LIE”.
- You can’t love your country only when you win, you can’t obey the law only when it’s convenient. You can’t be patriotic when you embrace and enable lies.
- “For the first time in our history, a president had not just lost an election; he tried to prevent the peaceful transfer of power.”
- “The former president of the United States of America has created and spread a web of lies about the 2020 election.He’s done so because he values power over principle, his own interest as more important than America’s interest, and because his bruised ego matters more to him than our democracy or our Constitution.
- “He can’t accept he lost even though that’s what 93 United States senators, his own attorney general, his own vice president, governors and state officials in every battleground state have all said: He lost.”
- Well, whatever my other disagreements are with Republicans who support the rule of law, and not the rule of a single man, I will always seek to work together with them.
- “Are we going to be a nation that accepts political violence as a norm? Are we going to be a nation where we allow partisan election officials to overturn the legally expressed will of the people.”
- “The way forward is to recognize the truth. To live by it. The “Big Lie” being told by the former president, and many Republicans who fear his wrath, is that the insurrection in this country actually took place on Election Day, November 3, 2020.”
- The former presidents’ supporters are trying to rewrite history. They want you to see election day is the day of insurrectionand the riots that took place here on January 6 as a true expression of the will of the people. Can you think of a more twisted way to look at this country, to look at America? I cannot.
- The former president and his supporters have decided the only way for them to win is to suppress your vote and subvert our elections. It’s wrong. It’s undemocratic and un-American.
- “The truth is that no election, no election in American history has been more closely scrutinized or more carefully counted.”
- “Every legal challenge questioning the results in every court in this country that could have been made, was made and was rejected. Often rejected by Republican-appointed judges, including judges appointed by the former president himself. From state courts to the United States Supreme Court.”
- He’s not just a former president. He’s a defeated former president. Defeated by a margin of over 7 million of your votes. In a full and free and fair election. There is simply zero proof the election results are inaccurate.”
- As we stand here today, one year since January 6 2021, the lies that drove the anger and madness we saw in this place, they have not abated. So we have to be firm, resolute and unyielding in our defense of the right to vote and to have that vote counted.”
- “I will defend this nation, and I’ll allow no one to place a dagger at the throat of democracy.”
- This is not a land of kings or dictators or autocrats. We’re a nation of laws, of order, not chaos, of peace, not violence.”
President Biden’s speech joins the great lessons that have defended democracy and American values throughout U.S. history. He called for truth, unity, peace, decency, support for the rule of law, and equality for all Americans. Trump loyalists, ask yourself why no current Republican leader talks that way. Why do Republicans talk with intense anger and divisiveness? Why do they demonize, not just disagree with Democrats, independents, and any Republican who reject MAGA ideology and Trump? Biden stressed how unpatriotic and dangerous it is when power becomes more important than principle. Trump was rightfully belittled by facts in Biden’s speech today. We can only hope that the DOJ will prosecute him or any election official who participated in planning, financing, encouraging, or supporting the attempt to overturn a free and fair election and intended murder members of Congress who were defending democracy. Someday maybe there will be restrictions on the right to vote for voters who try to destroy democracy. I think that’s a form of voter suppression that makes sense.