“Following the Money” in the Watergate scandal revealed what a crook Nixon was. He authorized $1 million in payoff money to silence the burglars who conducted the break-in of the Democratic Headquarters in the Watergate Hotel in Washington DC in 1973. Many say throughout Trump’s career he has lied, like Nixon, about his money dealings, assets, and debts. This lack of transparency is his strategy for escaping criminal liability before and during his presidency. Journalists and legal experts say Trump’s lies and acts of obstruction of justice far surpass the seriousness of Nixon’s crimes.
Trump’s most recent tactics to evade legal trouble relies on filing bogus lawsuits to hide his taxes, bank records, and presidential records related to the Jan. 6th attack on the Capitol. Throughout his career he has misused the judicial system by constantly filing lawsuits to delay full transparency into his business and political dealings. The courts and the public see through what he is doing. However, at this point he is under so many investigations he is desperately trying to avoid being charged with financial fraud and possible charges of treason against the United States. The resistance to congressional oversight by Trump and all right-wing Republicans gives the appearance of a Nixon-like, massive criminal cover-up. It’s evident to the average person that the extensive resistance by Trump and high-ranking government officials sends a clear message of guilt.
TRUMP’S LOYAL VOTERS SHOULD ASK AND ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS:
- WHY IS HE FIGHTING SO HARD TO HIDE HIS PRESIDENTIAL RECORDS?
- WHY IS HE ORDERING HIS FORMER AIDES AND ALLIES TO DEFY SUBPOENAS, PLEAD THE FIFTH, AND SUE THE JAN. 6Th COMMITTEE?
- WHY IS HE MAKING A DESPERATE PLEA TO THE SUPREME COURT TO BLOCK THE RELEASE OF WHITE HOUSE RECORDS FROM THE ARCHIVES?
- ISNT IT A COINCIDENCE THAT HE IS SUING THE NEW YORK ATTORNEY GENERAL ACCUSING HER OF POLITICAL BIAS AS SHE GETS CLOSER TO A POSSIBLE INDICTMENT OF HIM FOR TAX AND BANK FRAUD?
- IS IT POSSIBLE THE 29 LAWSUITS HE IS FACING SINCE LEAVING OFFICE ARE ALL WITHOUT MERIT?
- DO THE 4,000 LAWSUITS HE HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN THROUGHOUT THE YEARS INDICATE ANYTHING SUSPICIOUS ABOUT HIS CHARACTER?
- HAVE YOU EVER KNOWN ANYONE INVOLVED IN THAT MANY LAWSUITS?
- WHY DOES HE THINK HIS USE OF A PRIVATE SERVER IS ACCEPTABLE, WHEN HE VIEWED SECRETARY HILLARY CLINTON USING A PRIVATE SERVER AS TREASONIST?
- WHY HASN’T HE RELEASED HIS TAXES AS HE PROMISED IN 2016?
- WHY ISN’T HE DEFENDING THE CAPITOL AND DC POLICE WHO DEFENDED THE LIVES OF CONGRESS DURING THE INSURRECTION?
- WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PEOPLE OVER DECADES WHO CAN PROVE TRUMP REFUSED TO PAY THEM FOR SERVICES RENDERED?
- WHY WON’T HE DENOUNCE THE ALLEGIANCE THAT WHITE SUPREMACISTS HAVE TO HIM?
- WHY DID HE HIRE AN ATTORNEY GENERAL WHO WOULD UNPATRIOTICALLY SEEK TO PROSECUTE HIS OPPONENTS?
- WHY DO YOU BELIEVE TRUMP’S CLAIM THAT THE ELECTION WAS STOLEN WHEN OVER 65 JUDGES, THE SUPREME COURT, AND REPUBLICAN RUN RECOUNTS FOUND NO SIGNIFICANT FRAUD AND VALIDATE TRUMP LOST?
- IF A DEMOCRAT COMMITTED ALL OF THE ABOVE ACTS, WOULD YOU THINK IT WAS JUSTIFIED AND ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR FOR A PRESIDENT?
President Biden and the White House are doing what the executive branch is supposed to do during DOJ investigations: refraining from inserting themselves into the investigations being conducted by Congress and the Department of Justice. That is a tall order for President Biden as he watches the United States democracy come under attack by the former president and a corrupt, enabling Republican party. However, the Jan. 6th Committee appears to be conducting a bipartisan, comprehensive investigation into: 1) who organized and financed the rioters getting to the Capitol, 2) who directed which government officials to target with violence, 3) what did Trump know about the violent attack that was coming on Jan. 6 th, 4) what he was doing during the 187 minutes of inaction while the attack was occurring, 5) who did he talk to before and on the day of the insurrection, and 6) did know about Steve Bannon and Peter Navarro’s detailed plan to block Joe Biden’s certification as the next U.S. president.
So far, Attorney General Merrick Garland is taking a backseat in investigating the possible complicity of Trump, Steve Bannon, Rudy Guiliani, Don Jr., Paul Gosar, Mo Brooks, and other allies and members of Congress in the insurrection against the American government. Is Garland focusing on being seen as the “good cop” to contrast the ” bad, corrupt cop,” of the former AG William Barr? If that’s the case, he should resign. This is no time to care about what the Republicans think about how Democrats are governing. America is in crisis. The former president, has blatantly, on video and in audio tapings, attempted to commit election fraud and interference and engaged in inciting rioters to attempt an insurrection at the Capitol. Legal experts, like constitutional law professor Lawrence Tribe, are concerned by Garland’s mild-mannered, overly cautious, slow-moving, unaggressive approach to the chargeable acts by Trump and the Republican party to destroy our democracy.
President Biden needs to set aside his focus on civility and governmental norms and send a signal to Garland to open investigations into the Jan. 6th insurrection. It is not the time for passive leadership. Democrats hold the majority in all three branches of government. Biden cannot let Merrick Garland or Senator Joe Manchin hand over our democracy to the Trump right-wing of the Republican party. The Republicans are broadcasting every step of their plan to overthrow our democracy in podcasts and across conservative media. That strategy demonstrates an arrogant, confident attitude about the expected success they predict in taking down the two-party system by enacting voter suppression laws and installing MAGA loyalists as state election officials, and giving them the authority to overturn elections that Republicans lose. Is Trump worth losing America over? If the answer is yes, then Trump voters should be held accountable for the crimes and loss of liberties that are destined to occur.