The Twin Authoritarians Who Are Endangering American Democracy
Trump’s kleptocratic, autocratic tendencies are matched by McConnell’s destruction of democratic norms. Both are an existential threat. ( The New Republic, June 25th, 2017)
Donald Trump, the one-term, twice impeached president has released and legitimized the white- supremacist, authoritarian, greed-driven, power-hungry, corrupt wing of the Republican Party. On both the state and federal level, GOP leaders support voter suppression legislation, minority-opposing gerrymandering, and conspiracy theories including denying the results of a free and fair presidential election. Trump is too dumb and emotionally disordered to realize he is being used as a puppet by the Republican party, who Washington insiders say see him as an incompetent joke. Other puppeteers who have embarrassingly used Trump to advance their anti-American agendas are Vladimir Putin, Kim Jung Un, and most recently, the Taliban.
The New Republic article summarized Trump’s most blatant authoritarian abuses of democracy as;
- Flouting rules about nepotism and conflicts of interests
- Impugning judges on cases involving him, his administration, and his criminal friends
- Firing FBI Director James Comey for refusing to agree to pledge loyalty to him
- Firing Attorney General Jeff Sessions and many other officials for opposing him on any issue
- Limiting access of the free press by replacing daily White House briefings with off-camera gatherings with recordings being banned
- Holding dictator-styled rallies that incite crowds to frenzied levels of aggression and physical violence
- Inappropriate deployment of the military to support his political agendas.
- Aligning with foreign dictators and enemies over U.S. Intelligence
- Engaged in Russian-like propaganda over telling the truth
Trump governed to fulfill his narcissistic need for power, attention, and adoration. However, what drives MCConnell is different. His “degradation of democratic norms in the Senate” (The New Republic, 2017) has made him a dangerous, power-grabbing detriment to our democracy. He doesn’t seek media coverage or adoration from followers. Contrary to Trump, MCConnell cares about policies, especially those that suppress the vote, cut funding for programs to help the poor, disabled, and minorities and excludes bipartisanship as a goal.
Examples of MCConnell’s actions that lead America towards authoritarianism are:
- Blocked a proposal by Democrats that would increase voter turnout by declaring Election Day a federal holiday and allowing for same-day voter registration
- Refused to allow hearings to be held for President Obama’s nominee, Merrick Garland, for the Supreme Court, yet set aside the filibuster to get Trump appointee Neil Gorsuch on the Court
- While in the majority, he hypocritically rushed Amy Coney-Barrett’s nomination for the Supreme Court, although the presidential election was months away. He denied Obama’s nomination for the Court declaring it was too close to the next election
- When both Obama and Biden became president, McConnell declared a total blocking of their administrative agenda before they even started governing and also committed to making them each one-term presidents.
- Wrote the Obamacare repeal bill in secret, concealed not only from the public and Democrats but even their Republican colleagues.
- Disavowed the right of public input to policymaking
- Governed without transparency, as modeled by foreign dictators
The big question remains;
WILL ATTORNEY GENERAL MERRICK GARLAND HAVE THE SPINE TO OPEN FEDERAL INVESTIGATIONS INTO TRUMP AND HIS ACCOMPLICES RELATED TO CRIMINAL ELECTION INTERFERENCE, INCITING AN INSURRECTION, EMOLUMENTS VIOLATIONS, LYING UNDER OATH, VIOLATING HIS OATH OF OFFICE BY ATTACKING AMERICAN CITIZENS DURING CONSTITUTIONALLY-PROTECTED PEACEFUL PROTESTS, AND FEDERAL TAX EVASION?
If not, he should be fired. Allowing Trump to amass a violent following of voters who favor authoritarian rule over the traditions of a democratic, two-party system should disqualify Garland to remain as the Chief Law Enforcement officer of the United States.