Trump’s legacy has earned him the undisputed label as the worst U.S. President in American history. The Republicans in the office during his term will be vilified as enablers of his autocratic assault on our democracy. The factual, visible, measurable proof of the awfulness of his character and competence include:
- A barbed-wire wall erected around the Capitol Bldg, to protect the lives of members of Congress due to the insurrection he incited to stop the certification of the 2020 Electoral College vote to elect Joe Biden as president
- Being impeached twice for actions he took that violated the law and his oath of office.
- Separating migrant children from their parents and a failure to reunite over 500 families
- Belittled the legacies of every former U.S. president
- Inspired a resurgence of white supremacy, anti-Semitism, anti-government militia groups into the mainstream
- Accused by over 20 women of sexual assault
- Lying about election fraud, trying to steal the election to illegally retain power, and making his opponents targets of violence
- Made an illegal campaign finance payment to porn star Stormy Daniels to keep her from going public about their affair
- Mis-handled the COVID-19 pandemic, collapsing the economy, and contributing to the deaths of over 500,000 Americans from the virus.
- Knowingly lied to the American people about the dead!y nature of COVID-19.
- Incited insurrectionists to storm the Capitol to stop the vote certification of President Joe Biden
- Hired and pardoned criminals and political cronies
- Used Twitter to threaten those who opposed him
- Hired Incompetent Cabinet members
- Alienated American allies and befriended dictators
- Violated the Constitution by having peaceful protesters tear-gassed in Washington DC
- Inappropriately used members of the military in partisan actions he took
- Repeatedly lied and promoted conspiracy theories
- Hired unqualified, corrupt members of his family into high positions in his administrations
- Blocked oversight by Congress by refusing to honor their subpoenas
- Lied under oath in a written statement to Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller
- Refused to release his taxes as every former U.S. President has done
- Refused to fully disengage from his businesses creating probable conflicts of interests
- Had limited understanding of the text of the Constitution and the Bible
- Spent more time golfing and watching TV than governing
- Ballooned the deficit to 2 trillion dollars with his 1.9 trillion dollar tax cut for the rich
- Puled out of the Paris Climate Accord and denied climate change while California burned in wildfires, the easy coast broke temperature lows, hurricanes ravaged American cities
- Inherited a strong economy from President Barack Obama and crashed it due to his political corruption and epic incompetence
There are many more disastrous examples of the failures of Trump as a person and as a president. His reliance on gaslighting his followers and threatening elected Republican officials kept his sham presidency afloat until American voters saved democracy and restored national decency by voting him out of power. The jig is up for Trump. With no protection from the presidency, it is not a matter of “if” but rather who, when, and for what crime will end his relevance and maybe even his freedom. Republicans may be in for an awakening as the exodus of Republicans from their party continues and the Independent Party becomes more influential on our government than ever before. Another legacy of Trump will be how he destroyed the reputation and relevance of the GOP.
AVAILABLE ON AMAZON BOOKS: “AMERICA SURVIVED TRUMP” A CHRONOLOGY OF THE STRUGGLE, BY REBECCA SPERBER.
Posts from COVID to the end of Trump’s Presidency