The Democrats serving in Congress during the Presidency of Donald J. Trump will be viewed by historians as the heroes who fought for and saved the American democracy. On January. 6th, the entire world watched Trump incite radical, violent insurgents to attack the U.S. Capitol in an attempt to stop the certification of the free and fair democratic election. They inflicted physical brutality never before seen on the floors of Congress. The ” Stop the Steal” movement promoted by Trump has been inciting fear, anger, and anti-government rage in his followers for months. On the 6th, he instructed the crowd to ” march to the Capitol and fight like hell to take your country back .” Since he lost re-election, he has held rallies spreading the lie that the election was rigged and that he won “by a landslide”. At each rally, he repeated the false rhetoric of a ” stolen, fraudulent” election as the crowds yelled “stop the steal.” The Republicans know the wrongs Trump is guilty of committing.
- They know Trump incited the insurgency.
- They know that his claims of a corrupt, stolen election are false.
- They know great numbers of Trump supporters are members of white supremacist, conspiracy theory groups who act aggressively on his behalf.
- They know he filed over 80 court claims protesting the legitimacy of the election results and that all of those cases were thrown out of court by both Republican and Democrat judges.
- They know the basis for his impeachment is valid, yet they will acquit him in an unethical move to keep the support of his voters.
- They know he is unstable, and that he circumvented the Constitution many times while president.
- They know no prior president would have ever lied about the results of a fair, democratic election or asked state officials to throw out the legal votes of the American people.
- They know he called the Secretary of State of Georgia to ” find him 11,780 votes” to overturn the state’s election results.
- They know Trump was aware of who the groups were that he instructed to storm the Capitol to fight to ” take our country back.”
- They know Trump was pleased while he watched the rioters invade the Capitol and threaten the lives of Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Former Vice- President Mike Pence.
- They know while the insurgency was underway, Trump took no action to stop the rioting to protect members of Congress and the Capitol police.
The videos of Trump telling the rioters before the Capitol attack that the election was “stolen from him and them” and then directing them ” to fight like hell to take their country back” will be introduced as evidence in the impeachment trial which begins tomorrow. Evidence will be shown of how his tweeting and rallying about the election being rigged overwhelmed his followers which resulted in outrage and violent impulses. Insurgents who are now under arrest are on record claiming their actions were inspired by Trump and his message of a stolen election. Additionally, a White House staffer shared their observations of Trump’s ” delight” while watching the Capitol attack with Senator Ben Sasse of Nebraska.
In an op-ed in the Washington Post on Sunday, conservative constitutional Attorney Charles J. Cooper wrote “the Republicans were wrong to argue that it is unconstitutional to hold an impeachment trial of a former president. The Constitution permits the Senate to impose the penalty of permanent disqualification only on former officeholders, so it defies logic to suggest the Senate is prohibited from trying and convicting former officeholders. Claims by Republicans like Senators Rand Paul and Lindsey Graham that impeaching Trump is unconstitutional are being called ridiculous, desperate attempts to avoid having to defend the traitorous actions by Trump against the American government.
DESPITE AN ACQUITTAL, EVIDENCE IN THE TRIAL WILL SHOW TRUMP IS GUILTY IF INCITING AN INSURGENCY, LYING ABOUT THE RESULTS OF THE ELECTION, AND SOLICITED THE SECRETARY OF STATE OF GEORGIA TO FALSIFY ELECTION RESULTS TO ILLEGALLY DECLARE HIM THE WINNER. AN ACQUITTAL WILL NOT PROVE TRUMP’S INNOCENCE, RATHER, IT WILL PROVE THERE IS RAMPANT, CORRUPT DISREGARD FOR THE CONSTITUTION BY THE REPUBLICAN MEMBERS OF CONGRESS.