Trump came to the office already stained by decades of well-documented, unethical and unlawful behaviors. Only a flawed character explains this form of patterned bad judgment and misconduct. Both his professional and personal life has been negatively affected by how he talks and treats people. Character measures the mental and moral functioning of an individual. People considered to have a flawed character behave in immoral, illegal, and unkind ways.
Many Trump supporters feel sorry for him. They feel the massive amount of criticism and resistance he receives is unfair and based only on a dislike for him. However, if one studies Trump’s extensive public and professional history, there are facts that support why he has been branded the most corrupt, offensive president in U.S. history
Trump and his political allies have been effective in normalizing the spreading of misinformation for political gain. Trump supporters have been convinced that information from any source besides him, Fox News, or his Administration is false. This dangerous message aligns with one of America’s greatest adversaries, Russia.
In April of 2018, The Washington Post printed an article with information about Trump’s scandals. The list is an abbreviated version of actions Trump has taken that intelligence community professionals say compromises the country’s’ national security. All Americans, no matter their political affiliation, should read the facts for themselves when deciding whether Trump is qualified and deserving to be president:
- He has continued to refuse the release his tax returns as he promised during his campaign. If they prove he is a billionaire and has done nothing illegal, why won’t he release them?
- He has continued to be involved in the Trump family businesses, raising questions about emoluments violations that are being pursued in the courts.
- He defended Cabinet appointees who have abused their office with excessive, unnecessary spending of taxpayer money for personal gain.
- He allows White House staff to use personal email servers similar to what he opposed Hillary Clinton doing.
- He discussed classified information in an open setting at Mar-a-Lago.
- He continues to defend Russia’s innocence in hacking the 2016 election. Instead, he supports a conspiracy theory that it was Ukraine who did the hacking.
- He has not made public what his Administrations’ strategy is to protect the 2020 elections.
- He attacks the credibility of every branch of government and government agency if they do not fully support his policies and behaviors.
- He has awarded security clearances to people who do not meet security guidelines.
- He was named a co-conspirator in the federal case involving the hush-money payment to adult film star Stormy Daniels.
- In 2016, he invited Russia to try to find Hillary Clinton’s lost emails.
- He asked President Zelensky of Ukraine to announce an investigation of an American citizen, Joe Biden, who is coincidentally a political rival.
- He withheld military aid to Ukraine in an attempted quid pro quo agreement for the investigation into Biden.
- He suggested China should start an investigation into Joe Biden.
Aside from taking these unethical actions since elected, there are his past transgressions such as; bankruptcies, countless lawsuits, unethical business practices ( not paying back loans or contractors, the fake Trump charity and Trump University), and infidelities that his wives had to suffer through.
The solution to recovering moral leadership the United States is known for is simple. Every American must set aside party and use their vote to promote candidates who, through action, act in moral, legal, charitable and loving ways towards others and their country.