Once again we are watching in fear and embarrassment the behaviors of an unstable person inhabiting the Oval Office. Setting party aside, who does this sound like?
- Autocrat- An imperious, dominant ruler who demands blind obedience from others.
- Dictator- An absolute ruler where no checks and balances exist or are adhered to
- Demagogue- A leader who makes use of popular prejudices and false claims to gain power
- Fascist- Radical, right-wing authoritarian characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and the economy
- Despot- A person executing absolute power in a tyrannical or oppressive way.
- Traitor- A person who betrays a friend, country or principle
- Criminal- A person involved in a criminal offense regardless of whether it results in personal gain.
- Shyster – Someone who might rip you off or do something unethical for their own personal gain
Diagnoses: DSM-V. Diagnostic Descriptions
Narcissistic Personality Disorder 301.81
- A grandiose logic of self-importance
- A fixation on fantasies of infinite success, control or brilliance, beauty or idyllic love
- A credence that he or she is extraordinary and exceptional and can only be understood by, or should connect with other extraordinary or important people and institutions
- A desire for unwarranted admiration
- A sense of entitlement
- Interpersonally oppressive behavior
- No form of empathy
- Resentment of others or a conviction that others are resentful of you
- A display of egotistical or conceited behaviors or attitudes
Anti-Social Personality Disorders. 301.7
- Failure to obey laws and norms by engaging in behavior which results in a criminal arrest or would warrant criminal arrest
- Lying, deception, and manipulation for profit or amusement
- Impulsive behavior
- Irritability and aggression and frequent assaults on others or engages in fighting
- Blatantly disregards the safety of self or others
- A pattern of irresponsibility
- Lack of remorse for his action
Out of concern for our Democracy, we should only elect sane, qualified, and moral presidents as we move past this horrible chapter in our history. Saying Trump is just a different politician and altering norms is self-deluding. Changing norms does not involve the abnormal behavior patterns described in the definitions mentioned above.
Trump would just as easily aim his rage and prejudice at White Middle America if it profited him. This administration has gone beyond “disrupting the norms”. It is operating like an autocracy and disrespecting the institutions that define what American stands for. The government has become dangerously abnormal and if allowed to pursue Trump’s goals, will permanently damage our democracy.
We the people are better than Trump’s aggressive, immoral, ignorant, and cold vision of America. We will recover our national pride and optimism as soon as Trump is out of the office.